Education verification process is one of the most important aspects of background screening. The workforce of today needs to have some form of educational qualification for their work, be it a blue collar job or a white collar one. Understandably, companies might want to trust the applicant’s educational qualification based on appearance of their documents. However, it is extremely important to legally check any educational claims made by the candidate.
The market conditions are increasingly becoming tougher, forcing individuals to resort to any means to get the job. It has been observed that a significant number of job applicants are indulging in misrepresenting their qualifications to make themselves appear as suitable candidates. The unethical practices like degree forgery, false institutes and fake claims are not quite easy to detect, hence raising the need of background verification. India produces an average of 2 to 2.5 million graduates a year. With such an enormous influx of degree holders, it becomes all the more important to have stringent education check policies.
1) Identifying gaps between knowledge and job requirements- The candidates that you hire, must be qualified enough for the position they are applying for. Conducting a thorough screening of the educational background reveals details about the subjects taken up by the candidate and their relevance to the role.
2) Safeguarding against fake degrees and diplomas- Diploma mills, providing fake degrees to candidates, are on the rise. These institutions provide fake certification in exchange for money and thus create gaps in the educational system. These institutions are not affiliated with any recognized body or government agency. Rather they partner with independent agencies whose curriculum and standards are not in compliance with the legally dictated norm.
3) Confirm authenticity and relevance of foreign degrees- Seeking education in foreign countries is a popular trend among students. The curriculum offered in those countries may not match completely with the job description. Moreover, the authenticity of the foreign educational institutions and the value of their degree must be confirmed as a part of the education verification process.
Also Read: Verify the “Master in Deceit” with Education Verification
Education verification of degrees and diplomas are usually conducted at the in-house offices of the institutions. Companies and institutions also rely on 3rd party education check services, as they have their own proprietary databases for verifying the claims of the individual. There are several parameters that are to be checked and validated while conducting education verification.
1) Confirming Name and registration number- This is basically a form of identity check. By tallying the name and roll number of the candidate with official institute records, one can confirm whether the individual has truly attended the university that is being claimed.
2) Verifying course details- This education verification parameter is of critical importance as it forms a direct link between the education the applicant has received and the job role that is offered. This involves making a note of all the subjects that were taken by the candidate and verifying its relevance to the job.
3) Year of passing- Many candidates falsify their dates of graduation as young candidates are increasingly sought after by companies. Education verification of graduation records can be easily accessed by contacting the institution mentioned by the candidate.
4) Status of graduation- This basically ensures the quality of the candidate. Candidates with lower grades or drop years are usually not preferred by businesses. The nature of the job may require candidates with high skill and knowledge. Candidates may lie about their grades or hide their drop years. Such discrepancies are to be identified during education verification to ensure high quality hiring.
5) Whether the institution has been declared fake by regulatory bodies- As mentioned above, fake institutions and diploma mills are proliferating. Verifying the authenticity of the educational institute can help safeguard the company against candidates from such dubious institutions. This can be achieved by verifying the institution against details provided by regulatory bodies like UGC.
Online gaming has been seeing twice the number of users after the global COVID-19 outbreak. Read this blog to know how IT rules impact the onboarding process for real money gaming websites.
Keep yourself updated with the latest innovations in BGV & Authentication Technology from India's leading Background Verification Company.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.