In today’s world, employee background verification has become an essential part of the recruitment process. Not only does it protect the employer’s company, but it also builds trust and strengthens fair competition among businesses. Employers must maintain employee records and be prepared to provide them to other companies upon request. The pandemic forced workplaces to adapt to digital mode, making recruitment more objective, bias-free, and cost-effective. However, this trend also increased the risk of potential employees engaging in fraudulent behaviour to get the job, or taking on multiple jobs while working remotely – putting the company’s revenue and quality of deliverables at risk.
Let’s discuss the importance of choosing the best background verification vendor for recruitment to ensure a trustworthy and effective hiring process.
Possibilities of Fraud During the Hiring Procedure
The recruitment process is a crucial aspect of any organisation. It demands a lot of attention to ensure that the right person is hired for the right job. However, post pandemic years, there has been a significant rise in the number of fraudulent activities in the recruitment process. Here are some of the most frequent types of fraud that can occur during the recruitment process:
Candidates may use fake credentials or pretend to be someone else to deceive you during hiring. Impersonating someone else who matched the work experience or qualification criteria. To avoid this, always verify the candidate’s identity and confirm their work experience and credentials.
Example: A candidate applies for a sales job and uses a fake name on their resume. A background check reveals this is a case of identity theft. They provide fake references and work experience to show they are experienced in sales.
Candidates may hide any negative information that could affect their hiring chances, such as past incidents or misdemeanours. To avoid this, conduct a thorough background check and check their references.
Example: A candidate applies for a job as a driver, but they don’t disclose that they have a history of DUI charges. The employer hires them without knowing this information, and the employee gets into a car accident while on the job. A police verification check would have made things easier.
Candidates may lie about their work experience, education, or qualifications to appear more qualified. To avoid this, always verify the candidate’s education and work history.
Example: A candidate applies for a job as a software engineer, claiming to have a degree from a prestigious university. An education background check reveals that the candidate never attended that university.
How to Prevent Employee Fraud
Recruiting new employees is a critical task that can determine the success of a business. However, hiring the wrong employees can lead to decreased productivity, reduced morale, and even financial loss. To avoid such situations, employers must take measures to prevent employee fraud during recruitment. Here are some ways to prevent such incidents:
- Thorough employee background check: Verify the accuracy of the information provided by employees to catch false information that could be dangerous for the company.
- Education Check: Verifify the educational qualifications and check if the candidate has attended and passed out of the mentioned schools, colleges and universities
- Behaviour records check: Check behaviour records for incidents of workplace violence, sexual harassment, or negligent behaviour that can pose a threat to the safety of the working space and other employees.
- Criminal record check: Thoroughly check the criminal records and conduct police verification of potential employees before hiring to reveal any engagement in unfair means that threaten society.
- Mandatory license verification: Verify all licenses required for the job to avoid any mishaps and legal action. Eg., driver licence verification
- Strong policy against fraudulent behaviour: Have strong policies in place with appropriate penalties to prevent candidates from engaging in fraudulent behaviour.
Ensuring the Right Hire: Effective Employee Background Verification
Employers must conduct effective employee background verification checks to ensure they hire the right candidates. Here are some effective ways to conduct employee background verification:
- Criminal and legal records check: These records track any court cases or police FIRs against the candidate to reveal potential hazards and assist in deciphering employee behaviour.
- Employment Record Check: Requesting records from previous employers helps verify work experience and workplace behaviour.
- Address Verification Check: Checking the legitimacy of the employee’s PoA to validate permanent and correspondence address
- National identity record register: Conducting NID checks via Aadhaar card or PAN card number check to identify discrepencies
- National academics depository: Verifying academic background information helps ensure necessary qualifications and skill sets.
- Education Check: Running a background check on academic database, in addition to physical (field) verification provides accurate information about work exposure.
- Social media: Examining social media profiles can reveal any mismanagement or connections the company may want to avoid.
Things to Consider when Choosing the Best Background Verification Vendor to Recruit Right
Choosing the best background verification vendor is crucial for any business looking to hire the right employees. Here are some factors to choose a vendor:
- Proprietary Database: A vendor who has built a substantial proprietary database can provide higher accuracy in less time
- Reputation: Look for a vendor with a good reputation in the industry. Check their previous reviews and testimonials from former clients.
- Accuracy: Verify that the vendor’s verification methods are accurate and up-to-date. Inaccurate information can lead to the hiring of the wrong candidate.
- Compliance: Ensure that the vendor is compliant with all necessary regulations and laws, such as data privacy laws.
- Turnaround time: Choose a vendor that provides timely results, as a delay in verification can prolong the hiring process.
- Customization: The vendor should be able to adjust their services to meet the specific requirements of your business.
Considering these factors, Authbridge is the best employee background verification company for businesses looking to recruit right. Here’s why:
- Proprietary Database: AuthBridge has 1billion+ proprietary database records to enable fast and accurate verification
- Reputation: With 17+ years of experience, Authbridge is a well-established and trusted background verification company in India,
- Accuracy: Authbridge’s industry leading authenticating solutions offer near 100% accuracy
- Compliance: Authbridge is ISO-27001:2013 and ISO-9001:2015 compliant to ensure enterprise-grade security and quality
- Turnaround time: With 1billion+ database records, enjoy industry-leading turnaround time
- Customization: End-to-end authenticating solutions for all your employee background verification needs